Over the years my understanding of health has changed and evolved. I’ve become a firm believer that enjoying the indulgences of life lends itself to a healthy lifestyle. Yes, that includes chocolate, ice cream, and pizza in moderation. And yes, that includes a tasty Thanksgiving feast… with a slice of pumpkin and apple pie please. While I say all of that, I also believe that after a day of indulging, it’s time to get back on track (hence the itsy bitsy indulgences’ motto “little indulgences for a sweet life.). So, today I bring you my post-turkey-day-detox. I’ve included a yummy smoothie (one that I often order from a local smoothie shop… my other favorite can be found here) and a quick 20-25 minute circuit that you can complete at home. Since Thanksgiving is a time to spend with your family, cozy at home, my hope is that these two little tips can help you feel refreshed from any food coma that was endured the previous day! No make-up is required, leaving the house isn’t expected, and if you’re watching a movie marathon (I prefer to whip out all the Christmas movies at this point in the season) or sports game, both can be accomplished within 30 minutes… and will barely interrupt any of those activities. Added bonus points? This smoothie + work-out + a day of shopping at the mall… talk about kicking some booty!
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- Juice of 1/2 of a medium lemon
- 2/3 fuji apple- peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1/2 tsp of grated ginger (be sure to peel the ginger first)
- Handful of ice
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender, in the order they are listed. Blend until smooth consistency.
I once read somewhere that the muscle group to target after a day of indulging is always the legs. So, this work-out will focus on the booty and legs. If you repeat the circuit 4x it will give you a 20-24 minute workout, depending on how quickly you move through the moves.
1. 3 minutes of cardio: run in place, jump rope, walk on treadmill (if you’re at a gym… that’s what I ddi), jumping jacks… or a combination of the above.
2. Bicep Extension: Hold the 5 pound weights in your hands with your palms facing up. Extend your arms out in front of you, making sure to keep arms in a straight line. Return to starting position. Repeat 12-15xs.
3. Side Lunges: Start with feet hip width apart, with the 5 pound weights in your hands. Step to the side and squat. Return to start. Repeat 10xs on the right and left sides.
4. Step-Up Lunges: Begin with feet hip width apart, weights in hands. Lunge with your right leg onto the step, being sure your knee does not extend over your ankle. Return to start. Repeat 10xs on the right and left side.
5. Squats: Stand with feet hip width apart. With the weights in your hands, place them on your shoulder, while still holding them. Lower into a squat position. Return to start. Repeat 10-15xs.
6. 1 minute plank: Side plank, forearm plank, whatever type of plank you want! Just hold it for 1 minute!
That’s it! Have a wonderful and indulgent Thanksgiving with your family!!