03.11.2015

Hot Pink Goodness- A Pitaya Bowl

pitaya bowl, healthy living, gluten free bowl

I was asked a few weeks ago to create a 5 day food plan for a friend. After I provided the disclaimer that I am not a nutritionist (although, sometimes I do contemplate going back to school to become one….) and that all of my information is based on my own personal research and preferences, I went to work and put together her daily food intake for a week. Today, she sent me a thank you card expressing appreciation, sharing the positive results thus far, and mentioned that I was her “model of healthy living.” I stopped, and then realized that, right now in my life, that is possibly one of the best compliments I could be given.

I am a firm believer that what we put into our bodies has a direct impact on our health (food, and stress levels…). Therefore, I do pay close attention to what I choose to put into my body. Yet, I also (and I speak for Allison here too) know that without any “itsy bitsy indulgences,” life can get a little boring… and rigid. So, the dance becomes a balance. For me, I’ve found that eating clean 80-85% of the time and having small splurges (i.e. wine, chocolate in moderation, popcorn, etc) the other 15% keeps me feeling my best!

What I really love, is when I find a dish that is incredibly clean, but you’d never know it because it tastes that good. Enter the pitaya bowl… Pitaya (which can be found at local health food stores), also known as dragon fruit, aids in healthy digestion, boosts the immune system, increases energy, and has NO added sugars. Yes, please!!

Ingredients:

1 Pitaya Package
1 cup of ice
1 handful of spinach
1 Banana
3 Strawberries
1/2 medium kiwi
1 tsp Chia Seeds
1/3 cup of KIND granola (GF)
Optional: Agave nectar

Directions:

In a blender combine 1/2 of the banana, pitaya package (slightly defrosted), ice, and spinach. Blend to your preferred consistency. If you’d like it to be a more liquid consistency you can add almond milk in small quantities.

Chop the remaining fruit.

Pour pitaya mixture into a bowl. Top with granola, chia seeds, fruit, and if desired, drizzle with agave nectar.

pitaya bowl, healthy living, gluten free

pitaya bowl

dragon fruit bowl, clean eating

Comments

  1. Hi Shannon! I absolutely love this post and all your health and fitness posts. Would you maybe be able to post that 5 day meal plan you gave to your friend on the blog soon? I would love to see it.

    Thank you!
    Danielle

    • Shannon&Allison says:

      Hi Danielle,

      Yes, we can share that 🙂 Maybe will will start a Wednesday series about “What I Ate,” and it can have a week of what we ate. Just a thought! Thank you for your suggestion 🙂

      • Shannon & Allison,

        That sounds great! I am definitely looking forward to it. I absolutely love how you mix up your posts with health, fitness, fashion, and lifestyle! Thank you for that:)

  2. Cristina Crouth says:

    Just curious if that website link you shared is the only place you have been able to find pitaya or if you have seen it at a local grocery store (ie mothers or whole foods). I just tried it last week at the juice pub Growl and have been on the hunt to find it ever since! 🙂

    • Shannon&Allison says:

      Hi Christina,

      Yes, you can find it at Whole Foods- which is where I purchased it too 🙂 Hope you enjoy!

  3. Oh this looks absolutely delicious and refreshing! I can’t wait to try this!

    http://www.fabuloustuesdays.com

  4. Hi Shannon and Allison:)

    This was such a beautiful post and we are definitely trying this recipe as soon as possible. Thank you so much for your support and can’t wait to see more.